Your Camera. Your Workflow. Wireless with Air Direct.
Air Direct brings you a tethered workflow shooting experience that frees you to be mobile as you shoot. Air Direct’s utility software makes a virtual PTP connection so you can wirelessly control your camera and transfer files to your software. Compatible with Capture One, Smart Shooter, Lightroom, DarkRoom & many other tethering software programs.
Air Direct utilizes its own power source and will not drain the camera’s battery. For longer shoots, use large external USB batteries or AC wall power via the supplied DC cable. Air Direct offers the flexibility to swap power sources without ever shutting down, so you can power and shoot simultaneously. The Air Direct’s Bridge Mode feature expands a photographers wireless tethering workflow by allowing users to not only bring images directly into their tethering software, but also immediately send images via a FTP site, share them with clients, post to social media, stream music and more.
Using Catalina 10.15.2 or newer? Compatibility issues between macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and newer, Capture One 20 and Adobe Lightroom have prevented those users from being able to connect and use Air Direct. Get more details, along with alternative workflow considerations for those scenarios.
Mac and PC Compatibility:
- The Air Direct Utility (ADU) creates a wireless PTP communication between camera and tethering software on MacOS or Windows. Supported cameras: www.TetherTools.com/Air-Direct
- Compatible with Canon, Fujifilm, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic LUMIX, Phase One, Hasselblad, Leica models with USB tether. Not designed for non-supported camera models.
- For cameras with extremely large files, shooting tethered with a cable may be a better option.
- Tethering software of your choice such as Capture One, Smart Shooter, Lightroom, DarkRoom, & many other tethering software programs. (Required for Mac and PC)
A tethering software that supports your camera model is required to use Air Direct. There are many options available. To find one compatible with your camera, use our Software Compatibility Finder.
*Please note the ADU supports MacOS Catalina however many tethering software programs do not currently support Catalina (Updated 12/2019). Smart Shooter is fully compatible with Catalina.
Mobile, iOS, and Android Compatibility with Canon and Nikon Cameras:
- Air Direct is compatible with iOS and Android devices for Canon and Nikon cameras via Air Remote Mobile Tethering App.
- Air Remote App features creative zone control, live view, bracketing, time-lapse, focus stacking, bulb time, movie mode and more.
Air Remote Mobile Tethering App is currently compatible with Canon and Nikon:
Looking to get started? Download the Air Direct Utility or Air Remote Mobile Tethering Application for iOS or Android
- USB-C Camera Connectivity
- Wi-Fi: 802.11AC Transfer rates up to 443Mbps, 220Mbps throughput
- Bandwidth: 2.4 and 5GHz
- Range: up to 200 feet (60m)
- CPU: 580MHz Mipsel
- RAM: 64M DDR
- Dimensions: 1.5″ x 3.6″ x 2.7″ (39mm x 92mm x 68.6mm)
- Weight: 6oz (170g)
ONsite LP-E6/N Battery
- Battery Life: 3-5 hours*
- LP-E6 Lithium Ion Battery
- Output: 7.4V, 14.8Wh
- Capacity: 2000mAh
- DC Port Output: 5V, 2A
- Air Direct is compatible w/Canon LP-E6/N batteries
*Results may vary based on use.
Air Direct Utility Software
Air Remote Mobile App
- Compatible with Canon and Nikon cameras
- Compatible with iOS 8 or later
- Compatible with Android 4.03 or later
- Air Remote for IOS
- Air Remote for Android
Technology that works the way you want to:
- USB-C technology for lightning fast transfer.
- 802.11AC Wi-Fi connection. Internet access not required.
- Two-way communication from computer to camera, camera to computer.
- Transfer RAW and JPEG to Mac or PC simultaneously.
- One to One camera connection for secure communication.
- 5X faster transfer speed and range up to 200 feet (60m).
- Option of 2.4GHz or 5GHz bandwidth for faster transmission, further distance and less environmental interference.
- Dual high-powered internal antennas for greater range.
- Canon and Nikon users can also enjoy all the benefits of the Air Remote App on iOS and Android devices.
- Powered by easy access LP-E6 battery or DC input.
Mounting the Air Direct
The Air Direct connects to your camera’s USB port, leaving the hot shoe free for use with other equipment. The Air Direct has been designed with flexible options for mounting and use. Our recommended option is to mount the Air Direct using the Air Direct Arca Clamp for L-Bracket.
Alternative methods for mounting and use include:
- Mount on the camera’s hot shoe, if it is available.
- Attach the Air Direct to a tripod leg using the StrapMoore.
- Mount to an arm or clamp with the ¼”-20 thread on the bottom of the cold shoe
- Use a longer USB cable, allowing you to carry the Air Direct in your pocket.
Air Direct Wireless Tethering System (AD7)
ONsite LP-E6/N Battery for Air Direct and Canon (TT-LP-E6)
ONsite LP-E6/N Battery Charger and Charger Cable
Air Direct DC to USB Power Cable (ADC-DCUSB )
Air Direct USB-C to USB 2.0 Mini-B 5-Pin (ADC-2MB5)
Air Direct USB-C to USB 2.0 Mini-B 8-Pin Cable (ADC-2MB8)
Air Direct USB-C to USB 2.0 Micro-B Cable (ADC-2MB)
Air Direct USB-C to USB 3.0 Micro-B Cable (ADC-3MB)
Air Direct USB-C to USB-C Replacement Cable (ADC-CC)